Haydn’s timeless masterpiece of spiritual music was conceived as a multimedia event combining special lighting, spoken words, and music. On Saturday, February 17 at at 8 PM the highly acclaimed Chiara String Quartet will recreate the candlelit ambience of the 1787 premiere in Cádiz’s Oratorio de la Santa Cueva.
At 7:00 PM, Artistic Director Michael Parloff will introduce the work and its history in a half-hour multimedia preview.
THE SEVEN LAST WORDS OF OUR SAVIOR ON THE CROSS, OP. 51
- Introduction: Maestoso ed Adagio
- "Pater, dimitte illis, quia nescuint, quid fasciunt" Sonata I: Largo
- "Hodie mecum eris in paradiso" Sonata II: Grave e Cantabile
- "Mulier, ecce filius tuus, et tu, ecce mater tua!" Sonata III: Grave
- "Deus meus, deus meus, ut dereliquisti me?" Sonata IV: Largo
- "Sitio" Sonata V: Adagio
- "Consummatum est" Sonata VI: Lento
- "In manus tuas, commendum spiritum meum" Sonata VII: Largo
- Il Terremoto: Presto e con tutta la forza